D3 Architectes has shared with us their proposal to the Centre of Memory Guiana, Cayenne, French Guiana.
Is a project that saves a deep identity and resonant. It is a living environment that together and gives strength to the local history.
Construction solves two significant aspects: physical and symbolic
- Protect valuable documents that make up the cultural and historical heritage of the Guianas, in a Technical shelterWith triple skin for cooling.
- Give an authentic symbol of this heritage belonging to the spirit of the Guianas, through a interpretation of local architecture and popular, like “Le Carbet” with a roof that provides shade, fresh air and rest areas.
The project is composed from 3 key elements:
1. In the center, a huge Silo (17x23x49mts) that store files occupies the main space. To protect from moisture and temperature has been a double skin of concrete and the sun a wood skin which gives identity to the building.
2. Activities such as offices, workshops, reception and reading rooms and education take place in a large ring that runs around the silo. This helps the compactación the building and the connection between services.
This exchange of place in a generous hallway lit by a canal between the skin of concrete and wood. Within this funnel, on the first floor a small footbridge mezzanine connects the rooms of this level. This space gives the store a sort of big stage, and is also used as a rest and meeting space.
3. The entire building is covered with a protective skin made of wood slats Balata, arranged horizontally to protect the rays of the afternoon, creating a smooth movement of the building as an articulated shell, to express a temporal power.
The shape of the membrane envelope is based on “le Carbet”, Finding comparisons with architectural and cultural aspects:
- Cool the area with a large area of shadow
- Observe without being interrupted by the bright sunlight
- Protect from rain
- Organic shapes that echo their natural environment
There are 5 images in this Guyana’s Memory Center of D3 Architectes article. Follow the thumbnail below to view all 5 high-res images.
Erosion Conference Hotel by In a post-industrial city like Milwaukee, there are is no shortage of neglected and forgotten areas. The Inner Harbor is ...
The Surtur Chair by Emilia SURTUR is the name of the fire god in Norse mythology. In 1963 the island of Surtsey was created in ...
26 Lounge Bar – Cor & El Portal de Elche has been for centuries a very popular meeting place in Alicante, situated on the corner of ...
House C by RTA-Office Study work-family housing RTA-Office, With offices in Barcelona and Shanghai. This house, designed by architect Santiago Parramón, is characterized by ...
Join HomeVaganza on Facebook Here!
Browse by Category
Browse by Keyword
All contents published under Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic License. All Rights of images and videos found in this site reserved by its respective owner.